Have you ever met someone in their middle ages or beyond that had remarkably wrinkle free skin? You may even begin to wonder if there is a special secret to keeping your skin free from the marks of time. Unfortunately, unless you have cosmetic surgery it is highly unlikely you will completely avoid the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. What you can do is delay their occurrence and diminish their appearance.
When you break it down wrinkle formation is a combination of reduced collagen and elastin production coupled with environmental influences and lifestyle choices. For example, as you age, regeneration slows down and as you probably already know, the sun breaks down the collagen and elastin in the skin. This is a situation where a natural and an environmental factor are at play. There is also a significant genetic factor, and most experts will tell you lighter skin individuals have more problems with wrinkles.
You cannot stop time, but you can take specific steps to care for your skin and prevent the early onset of wrinkles. Here are a few things you can do to slow the onset and even prevent some wrinkles:
- Vitamins- dermatologists often prescribe creams derived from Vitamin A for a variety of skin problems, including wrinkles. Vitamin C is also a good supplement as it stimulates the production of collagen.
- Bad Habits- smoking and alcohol consumption is hard on your body, which means they are hard on your skin as well. Avoid these bad habits whenever possible, and if you must drink, do so in moderation.
- Sleep- lack of sleep stimulates the production of cortisol, which destroys collagen in your skin. How you sleep can also cause wrinkles, professionals suggest sleeping on your back to prevent wrinkles on the forehead, cheeks and chin.
- Creams- use good moisturizers and collagen stimulating creams.
- Skin Care- keeping your skin clean will promote healthy skin, so pick up some organic skin care pads, which are made of natural ingredients.
Once the first wrinkles appear, it is natural to want to run to a plastic surgeon for some quick and permanent answers. Before you sign up for collagen injections, facelifts or tucks, you want to look at some simple methods for reversing the signs of aging on your skin. If you have begun seeing signs of fine, lines or wrinkles first check the list of common causes and see if you can halt the progression. Treating wrinkles once they appear:
- Amino Acids are the building blocks of collagen, but it is one your body cannot make so you must get it from supplements or dietary sources. Adding eggs, chicken, lentils, pork and peanuts to your diet can boost collagen production by providing the necessary amino acids.
- Antioxidants are the prime enemy of free radicals, the latter of which can take quite a toll on your skin. Dark colored fruits and vegetables are your best defense against free radicals as they are rich in vitamin A, C and E.
- Omega three fatty acids can be obtained through diet or supplements. Add more fish, particularly tuna, salmon, sardines and herring.